Saturday, October 25, 2014

Patio Makeover




I should have posted this project a long time ago.  We’ve been enjoying our back patio makeover for quite some time now.  Oh well, better late than never! Ignore the backyard that needs to be cut.  Actually, I  think it's too small to be categorized  as a backyard, but it definitely needs trimming.
Before I get started, here’s what you’ll need:
  • Galvanized plumbing pipe cut to the appropriate length for your space
  • Attachement pieces: 2 flanges, 2 nipples, 2 Elbows and screws. Make sure you take the length of these into consideration when measuring for your pipe.  They take up about 2 extra inches on each side.
  • Drill
  • Curtain rings with clips
  • 2 packages of painters canvas (1 canvas in each package)
  • Ladder
  • Friends to help!

Our little patio was so unwelcoming I just had to do something to fix it up. The good news is that the whole list of stuff – minus the drill – cost only $85! That being said, my patio is very small, so depending on the amount of space you’ll want to cover, it could cost more.  The pipe is the most expensive part of the whole project. You’ll need 2-3 people total to put up the curtain rod, so make sure some of your friends are available BEFORE you start the project … unlike me, who realized that hey, I can’t hang this huge pipe by myself! 

1) So, after you get your patio measured and your pipe cut.  Place the curtain rings on the pipe.  Attach the nipples and flanges. Because this is a galvanized pipe, you may need to play around with the placement of the attachment pieces so everything lines up. 





2) With everything now attached, screw in one side of the pipe to the beam of wood.  Now do the other side. Good! Now you have a galvanized pipe curtain rod! 

3) Attach the canvas drapes.  You’ll have to play around with spacing a little bit on this to get it even, but it’s pretty easy. Don’t worry about the wrinkles, they will eventually come out.  The Canvas drop cloth I bought was 6ft x 9ft so I just folded it over at the top and it turned out great! 



I also strung white christmas lights across the ceiling, that way we have lighting outside without using the glaring florescent patio light.  I spaced the hooks for the lights about a foot apart.  All I had on hand was one strand of 300 count lights and one strand of 100 count lights.  It worked out perfect for the space!  Just run them across the ceiling until you run out, making sure you pull the chords tight so they won't droop.  




I found this bench on craigslist for really cheap.  It was really REALLY rusted, so I sanded it down and then went over it with some rustoleum spray paint. A super easy and quick way to add some cute seating!  


1 comment:

  1. So beautiful!

    Aunt Jill would call the florescent lights "interrogation lights. " :)

    ReplyDelete